Tuesday, 24 April 2007

Airport blogging: 'I'll be 42 before I finish my 1235 page book'

I'm currently at Cape Town International Airport waiting to board for
my return trip to Jozi, using gmail on my Nokia 6234 to email my blog.
It's been a whirlwind two-day business trip.

On my flight down on Sunday evening, I was standing in line waiting to
board - after trekking to a completely different gate on a completely
different floor at the last moment - reading Peter F Hamilton's Judas
Unchained, so I had the 1235 page book in my hand when I finally
boarded the plane.

There was a queue behind me and a queue in front of me.

'You're definitely not 40, are you?' says the flight attendant to me.

'Huh?'

All I can think of is that we're already delayed and there's a whole
lot of people behind me and just what is this guy smoking...

'But you'll surely be 42 by the time you finish that book!'

[Currently on page 248, about to start reading again now.]

4 comments:

Carlz said...

hey bookwork, any advice for a reading addict who as of late can't get past 2 pages without mind wandering...???

its true - attention is the scarest commodity in the info age!

Carlz said...

book worm :)

its late!

IrcMaidon said...

I think the problem is the size of PC screens, the Internet and multitasking... I have vague memories of reading something along those lines for linguistics back at varsity .

And, of course, TV...

IrcMaidon said...

Oh, and who says I remember what I read? That's why I started this blog, so I can record my readings.

I can't remember when I read the first book, Pandora's Star. I've been reading Judas Unchained and frantically trying to recall the characters and plot and twists from Pandora's Star.